Why One Should have a Multivitamin Supplement?
What are multivitamin supplements?
A multivitamin is a dietary supplement that is a combination of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. Multivitamins are present in different formats:
- liquids, or injectables
- gummies that are tasty and convenient to eat.
How are multivitamins helpful?
Multivitamin supplements cannot be used as a substitute for a varied diet. Food provides more than enough vitamins and minerals necessary for our body daily. Food also has other nutrients such as proteins, carbohydrates, fats and fiber that are positive and beneficial for health.
However, many people don’t get enough vitamins and minerals from their regular diet alone as they
- have diets that are low on nutrition and calories,
- are allergic to some foods,
- are fussy eaters,
- have a poor appetite,
- eat only those foods permitted by their religion or
- avoid certain foods such as strict vegetarians and vegans
- eat a large amount of processed food instead of freshly cooked food.
These people should consider taking a multivitamin supplement. Multivitamins can improve overall health and wellness.
Recommended post: What makes a good multivitamin supplement?
Most common vitamin deficiencies in India?
According to a recent research study, about 75 percent of Indians suffer from a deficiency of vitamin B9 – Folic Acid, vitamin B12, and Vitamin D.
Deficiency of Vitamin D, also called the Sunshine Vitamin since the body absorbs it in the presence of sunlight, has reached alarming proportions in India. About 70 percent of Indians are found deficient. Vitamin D is of utmost importance for bone health. Calcium absorption is adversely affected by vitamin D deficiency. Deficiency of Vitamin D can lead to illnesses such as hypertension, asthma, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, osteoporosis, rickets, and cancer. The deficiency of vitamin B12 can lead to anemia, mental health, and respiratory symptoms. The deficiency of vitamin B9 can lead to major birth defects in a newborn baby.
We should eat a varied healthful diet of freshly cooked food, exercise regularly, sleep adequately, spend time outdoors and judiciously have multivitamins for our overall health and wellness.
- What makes a good Multivitamin supplement?
- Why One Should have a Multivitamin Supplement?
- The Role and Importance of Calcium Supplements?
- The Role and Importance of Iron Supplements?
- The role and importance of DHA?
- The role and importance of Moringa supplements?
- The role and importance of Vitamin b9 folic acid supplements?
- The role and importance of Vitamin b12 supplements?